When you drive, it is critical to do whatever it takes to be safe and avoid getting involved in car accidents. Sometimes, however, collisions are unavoidable.
But fortunately, there are also many accidents that could’ve been prevented, especially if people were just doing the things they are supposed to be doing when they operate a vehicle. Make sure you follow all the rules of the road and be aware of any signs of trouble.
The following are several tips to help you prevent getting involved in a car accident:
- Ensure that your vehicle is in good driving condition. When it comes to avoiding many car accidents, keeping up with car maintenance is important. Make sure that the brakes and tires are in great condition. Additionally, all the fluids should be at their adequate levels. Failing to keep up with these items may result in malfunctions which can lead to accidents.
- Scan 12 seconds ahead. Concentrate on the area where you will be driving in 10-12 seconds. If you are driving on the highway, remain far enough from other cars, in case someone were to suddenly hit their brakes or swerve.
- Keep an eye out for children crossing. Kids, as well as animals, have a habit of suddenly popping out from between parked vehicles and on to the road. If you are driving through a residential area with children present, make sure to drive at a slow speed and remain vigilant.
- Avoid tailgating. Tailgating is a major cause of crashes. Leave a three- to four-second cushion between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Avoid distractions. Whether it is your cellphone or a burger, distractions can take your eyes away from the road, your hands away from the steering wheel, and your mind away from the primary task of driving.
- Be nice. Treat others with respect whenever you are on the road. If you encounter an aggressive driver, the quicker you can avoid him or her, the safer you will be.