An autistic boy, D.M., is a student at Kennemer Middle School in Duncanville suffered serious injuries, including severe gash shaped in an arch just above his right eye. Doctors report that his eyes socket has also been fractured. Allegedly, the injury occurred while he was in gym class. D.M.’s parents describe him as “nonverbal,” and is unable to explain the incident.
His parents were alerted immediately after the accident. They are turning to the school district for answers but have received conflicting reports about the incident, with no definitive answers.
What Is Known So Far
School staff, district officials and others who were present at the time of the accident have no given the family any accurate accounts. One spokesperson for the Duncanville Independent School District stated that student safety is of the utmost priority and that an investigation is still ongoing.
Other facts about the incident:
- There were at least 3 adults present to monitor the special needs class
- D.M. suffered the gash above his right eye, nerve damage, a fractured eye socket, as well as a concussion
- His injuries may take several months to heal
- His doctors fear that the injury may have a negative impact on his eyesight in the future
- This is the second incident of injury to D.M. while on the property of Duncanville ISD
- The district has promised to monitor his safety once he returns to school
ISD has a strict policy: whenever a child has been injured on campus, no matter how minor it may seem, a thorough investigation must take place. As of now, the family has little information about the incident but are seeking legal counsel at the moment to learn more about their legal options.
We Fight Relentlessly for Your Rights
At MR Civil Justice, our Dallas personal injury attorneys are committed to fighting for those who need a voice and a strong support system. We never want to see anyone suffer unnecessarily. That is why we take the time to familiarize ourselves with your case and use our knowledge of the laws to develop unique, innovative legal strategies. We can help you determine whether you are eligible to file a premises liability claim, or other sort of injury claim against those who may be responsible.
We are ready to help you in any way we can. Do not hesitate to contact us if another has wronged you. Schedule a free case consultation.