Drivers are often reluctant to take adequate safety measures in order to be prepared whenever problems occur on the road. Their trunks are barren, they possess no supplies, and if their vehicle experiences a breakdown of some sort, they may be stranded for a while until help arrives.
If a disaster happens on the road, a little preparation can go a long way. Stocking your car with some basic items enables you to be properly prepared when either you experience a car accident, you are stranded in inclement weather, or your car suddenly breaks down.
The following are some essential kits you must have with you at all times:
Car Repair & Maintenance Kit
- Spare tire – While it is imperative to have an extra tire in the event of a flat, you must first take the time to learn how to change a tire adequately.
- Jumper cables – A dead battery is one of the most common vehicle issues, so have a set of cables can get you out of trouble whenever you are stuck or need an electrical jump. Consider purchasing an emergency battery booster just in case there is no one to help.
- Flat fixers – Keep a can of tire inflator and sealer in the vehicle, so you have the ability to plug an air leak in your tire. Once the leak is closed, visit a car shop immediately to replace it.
- Tire gauge – This device enables you to check the pressure of your tires to ensure they are properly inflated.
Emergency & Safety Kit
- First aid supplies, such as medicine, bandages, and rubbing alcohol
- Water bottles
- Protein and energy bars
- Seatbelt cutter
- Window breaker
- Mylar blanket
- Phone charger
Comfort Items Kit
- Paper towels or rags
- Toilet paper
- Umbrella or poncho
- A blanket
- Garbage bag
- A change of clothes
- Pens and paper
- Emergency money
For more helpful safety tips for drivers in Dallas, visit our blog or contact Mathias Raphael PLLC today. If you have been injured in a car accident caused by a negligent driver, request a consultation with our Dallas car accident lawyer.